(I Want to) Burn You (Down), Let's Play Kathy Rain 2: Soothsayer! (Blind)

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Image

Hey, Soothsayer, listen up: don't know who I am. Oh my friend, what if you were right? Don't want to be that man.

The Game (of Luv)

Kathy Rain 2 is, naturally, the sequel to Kathy Rain: A Detective is Born (or Kathy Rain: Director's Cut as I played it). I had just recently concluded an LP of the first game, and while I wasn't overly impressed with the ending, I was pleasantly engaged with the mystery and the general atmosphere of the game, so I figured I'd roll into the sequel soon after I had finished the original. Shout outs to Steam sales for easing the pain on my wallet. Like the previous game, Kathy Rain is a point 'n click adventure game highly influenced by the VGA era of the genre and particularly by games like Gabriel Knight and Full Throttle. If a murder mystery with those influences sounds like a good time to you, I hope you'll ride with me.

The Let's Play (of Luv)

Like the previous game, this will be a blind first playthrough of the game with my organic first impression of everything and a concentrated effort to get immersed in the story and mystery. Should I find myself getting hung up on any puzzles, I'll be sure to cut out the parts where my brain is buffering and smoke is pouring out of my ears. I'll do my best to thoroughly investigate everything and scoop up as many achievements as I can, but we can always double back after the first successful playthrough for anything I missed.

Disclaimer of Luv

Kathy Rain 2 is a high stakes murder mystery where the twists and turns are the big draw for a new player, So absolutely no spoilers!!! If I catch you spoiling anything, bad luck and extreme misfortune will haunt your pathetic soul for all eternity, while I'll be over here crying. Shame on you, hypothetical spoiler!

The Videos (of Luv)

Part 1, (Tequila) Sunrise
Part 2, Dreaming (of Things to Come)
Part 3, (Zen) Meditation

Full LP Playlist

If this game sounds like a good time to you, but you're lacking the context to fully understand who Kathy is, then perhaps you'll like my LP of Kathy Rain: Director's Cut. If you think I have a good energy for blind playthroughs and you prefer your game's with more fairy tale trappings and lesbianism, Little Goody Two Shoes may be your jam. And if you like time loop horror stories where bad things happen to adorable children, then you'll definitely like House 1 & 2.
Last edited by Cullen on Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar


Our new adventure begins! A few years have passed since the conclusion of the first game, and it seems quite a lot has happened in Kathy's life since then. Abandoning the path of journalism, she now (barely) ekes out a living as a Private Investigator. Things haven't been so good for her after striking out as a PI independent of her mentor, and it seems Eileen used to be at her side but no more. I'm sure there's some drama there. Regardless, a Serial Killer has been terrifying the city of Kassidy, and there's a huge reward on his head now. Kathy isn't too keen on having her practice be hunting for violent loons, but if the money is right...

This game has quite the visual upgrade from the first one, which was already a pretty decent showcase of VGA inspired pixel art, so I'm definitely excited to see what's on offer for this game! This first part mostly features ground floor investigation work, which means we spend a good chunk of time poring over newspaper articles. Not sure how much all of that information aside from the reporting on the victims will be relevant, but it was cool to see the call backs to the first game.

User avatar


Part 2 is out! After following up on some phone leads we got, it's time to meet an old friend at the Gazette! Slightly chilly reception though. After getting acquainted with the Gazette and what it has to offer, I fumble a bit on the dialogue puzzle the game wants me to do until I figure maybe I should try hitting that big honkin' blue button on the question list. Now that I've realized I can quiz people on their surroundings, I'll make sure to do it more! More than likely there was a tutorial somewhere, but once again the text slid away from my eyes as my brain was focused on other things.

On a more interesting note, we learn Kathy has kicked the smoking habit, but also fucks with a white girl that isn't Eileen. Not sure if kicking one addiction and then taking up a class A narcotic when you're already an alcoholic is a good idea, but what do I know.

We get an abrupt end at the overlook, but thinking on it this may very well be the spot Meadow wants us to take a photo, or at the very least it has an association with fire. Something to try next time for sure. On a more silly thought, but perhaps worth trying, maybe we can use the makeup brush on the fire pit to dust away some of the tags? I feel like there must be something there, but then again it may have just been a feint for the junkie jumpscare.

User avatar


Part 3 is out! After a failed attempt to break into the burgeoning industry of pet blogging, it's time to hit up the other sites of Soothsayer murders. Pretty good amount of progress this part, and a couple of achievements grabbed incidentally! Aside from Debra Sinclair's cabin, Rachel Wang also seems like she has potential to give us a lead since she's definitely hiding something. I have a feeling some shit is going to go down once we complete our fandom quiz, so hopefully I don't get stuck on that for too long next time.

Post Reply